Monthly Archives: August 2015

Bavarian Princess

faire1 faire2

After about two months of personal anticipation, I finally went to the Renaissance Faire in Tuxedo, NY wearing the costume I made!

Being the history nerd that I am, I couldn’t just be -generic Renaissance citizen- The original idea was to be a sort of barmaid, since I wanted a vest, but the gold over skirt and silky ribbon on the flower crown to me said “minor Bavarian princess,” just like Catherine II 😉

We’ll just ignore the wild inaccuracy of a German princess hanging out with a Scottish warrior.

Kilt Man and the Princess

I used Simplicity 3809, but mainly just for the vest and shirt. I had my own ideas for the skirt, that ended up taking half the amount of fabric called for, with just as much volume. I actually had a crinoline to go underneath, but it ended up being too uncomfortable because I got a tattoo on my leg the day before.

First, I made two skirts the same size as each other. I sewed the seams together on one side, and left them free on the other so I could get that sweeping motion. I basted vertically in 8″ intervals so I could play with the drape, and ended up sewing over only 4 of them.

My favorite technique!
My favorite technique!

Overall, I couldn’t be happier with the color scheme. I know it’s not quite autumn yet, I was certainly dreaming about cooler months in this ensemble. My sister made the flower crown, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I also made the pouch out of scraps from the vest with a braided strap. I had no idea that pouches were such a Renn Faire thing but, well, happy coincidence!

Now, it’s time to start thinking about Halloween… and my sister’s comicon centaur costume. That’ll be something, alright.

Sewing Summer Camp!

 

Today I taught my first group sewing lesson today at Staten Island Dance and Arts Center! It was challenging, hectic, and rewarding.

The goal was for four girls under 12 years old to hand sew a bag with little-to-no sewing experience in three hours. Quite the challenge!

I had made a pattern for a cell phone purse, which some of the girls modified to be an iPad case. I had four stitches to teach them, plus some pre-drawn appliques, with the option to draw their own. A few weeks before the camp, I drew out the pattern and made a sample:

MQbagThat M was supposed to be a lightning bolt. It failed, leading me to sew on my initials and print out lightning bolts for the kids to sew on instead of them, too, failing and making M’s. Even though then we would have had a bunch of purses with a Miss Melissa tribute on them! hehe.

Anyway, all went well. Only one of the four girls declared that she hates hand sewing, and three of the four girls more or less finished their bags! Yay!

Now, I’m really looking forward to the fashion design class and sewing workshops starting in October. I have a better idea of the skill level to prepare for, and how exhausting it will be! I can’t wait to be exhausted like that. It’s so interesting to see how different kids react to sewing. Some find it tedious but worth it, some find it therapeutic, and most of the time they seemed excited for the challenge. I can’t wait to help my fashion design students make fabulous looks to walk the runway in at the Fashion Show!